Today is world Nutella Day according to my twitter feed so as I need very little encouragement to start baking I thought I would try making some brownies but incorporate Nutella in someway. These brownies are definitely not for those on any kind of healthy eating kick, but as we now have January out of the way and lots of cold weather to contend with here in the UK it is definitely comfort food time.
The beauty of this recipe is that you don’t need a fancy mixer to make it although it is quite ‘bowl intensive’.
Nutella Cheesecake Brownies
130g plain chocolate
175g caster sugar
75g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
100g milk chocolate chips
250g full fat cream cheese
50g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175°C ( fan). Lightly grease a 28cm x 18cm baking tray and line with baking paper.
- Melt the plain chocolate in the microwave, 1 minute on full power, then another minute at full power.
- Cut the butter into chunks and stir into the chocolate until melted, place in microwave for a further minute if needed.
- Add the sugar to the chocolate mixture and stir well.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy in a jug, then add slowly to the chocolate mixture.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in large bowl, then slowly add the chocolate mixture to the flour and fold in.
- Stir in the milk chocolate chips and pour into the baking tin.
- Working fairly quickly beat the cream cheese, sugar and egg together until smooth.
- Warm the Nutella in the microwave until quite runny, but be careful not to overheat it as it may seize. Transfer to a plastic piping bag.
- Pour the cheesecake mix gently over the top of the brownie mix,
- Snip the end of the piping bag and squiggle over the warmed Nutella, use a cocktail stick to gently swirl in the mixture but don’t push the stick in too deep so it all stays on the surface of the brownie.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the surface has just a gentle wobble.
- Leave to cool in the tin, the turn out onto a wire rack.
- Cut into squares and serve.